Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First (Real) Snow of Winter

So we had our first real snow fall this winter. They have been forecasting the storm for a few days and it finally hit last night. I woke up, looked out the window and saw a lot of snow (well, more than I had expected). I will have to post some pictures of it.

In addition to the delightful snow, Chapel Hill went into it's typical emergency mode. Even though there is only a little snow on the ground and it will be gone by tomorrow I still got this email:

"The University has declared a "Condition II" Adverse Weather Alert for today and tomorrow.... Classes are cancelled today beginning at 3:30 p.m. and extending until tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10:00 a.m. Offices will remain open on a normal schedule today and tomorrow. This means...employees are responsible for their regular duties and should make their own decisions about coming to work tomorrow (or leaving work early today) based on their assessments of what is best for their personal safety. They must make up any time missed."

Honestly, they get a little snow and they treat it like a natural disaster. Oh well, I guess this means I won't have to teach this afternoon. Maybe I'll still show up and see if any students show up and need help with their homework.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Welcome to snow in the south! (It's different than snow in the frozen north!) :)