Thursday, March 19, 2009

Southern Color

Because I live in a university town the proper use of English tends to be higher than in other parts of the country. That does not mean it is perfect, or even good, just better than the average. But occasionally I run into someone who does not speak proper English, but rather the Southern Dialect, more common outside the university town.

The other day as I was boarding a bus there was a woman who was also boarding with her baby. The bus driver upon seeing the baby (who was awake) exclaimed, "He's so cute! He's wide awoked!" No I did not mistype it, that's what she (the bus driver) said. This way of speaking is not uncommon, but is rather the norm among certain people in the South.

Another example of this (which also came while I was riding the bus) I heard when a woman who was also riding the bus, saw a friend boarding the bus called out, "Hey girl! How you did?". When I hear college students speaking like this I wonder how they got into college and more especially, how they will get out.

No comments: