Sunday, May 31, 2009

What I Like About the Earth: Part 1, Rain

I like rain. It never ceases to amaze me that stuff will fall out of the sky and get things wet. Because I grew up in a desert I never saw much rain. Thus when I moved to a wetter climate I was amazed at how much rain could come down out of the sky. I could sit there and watch it for hours.

I have seen all kinds of rain. Small, light rain that is more cloud and mist than rain. Large, heavy rain that seems to be coming down in sheets or in one solid mass. I have seen rain so hard that it literally beat down plants and broke leaves. I have seen rain that has gone on for days without stopping. I have had rain come down out of a (nearly) cloudless sky.

It never ceases to amaze me that water will just come down out of the sky and do so much for the Earth. It will water the plants, fill lakes and reservoirs and make mighty rivers and small streams. It will slowly eat away at rocks and wear them down, and take them and carry them to the sea. It is truly amazing that rain comes down and gives to all who need it the water and nourishment that they need.

No comments: