Monday, June 1, 2009

What I Like About the Earth: Part 2, Mountains

I always remember growing up that where ever I looked I could see mountains. Nearly everywhere I went I could see mountains. They have always been such an amazing sight to see. There is so much to learn about mountains. How the form, how the come down, how they support life, how they affect the weather and how they stay up. It is truly wonderful to see the layers of rock, to find fossils or to just find a rock in the mountains. I hope that someday I can live in a place where I can see the mountains, because they are truly beautiful.
Our Mountain Home So Dear

Our mountain home so dear,
Where crystal waters clear
Flow ever free,
Flow ever free,
While thru the valleys wide
The flow’rs on ev’ry side,
Blooming in stately pride,
Are fair to see.

We’ll roam the verdant hills
And by the sparkling rills
Pluck the wildflow’rs,
Pluck the wildflow’rs;
The fragrance on the air,
The landscape bright and fair,
And sunshine ev’rywhere
Make pleasant hours.

In sylvan depth and shade,
In forest and in glade,
Where-e’er we pass,
Where-e’er we pass,
The hand of God we see
In leaf and bud and tree,
Or bird or humming bee,
Or blade of grass.

The streamlet, flow’r, and sod
Bespeak the works of God;
And all combine,
And all combine,
With most transporting grace,
His handiwork to trace,
Thru nature’s smiling face,
In art divine.

--Emmeline B. Wells

No comments: