Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Personal Parenting Philosophy

As the time is now approaching when I will have to face the reality of being a father, I have thought about the proper approach to being a father and parenting in general. The question is how to best approach it so that I can say that I have done all that I could possibly do. There is one verse in the scriptures that has to do with being a father that when it was first pointed out to me I thought, "That is how I should act as a father." The verse can be found in Genesis 18:19.

"For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him."

I think that many people in Christianity forget how great a man Abraham was, and how much he influenced the world. Despite his example and influence I rarely hear people say, "Try to be more like Abraham, he was a good man." There were great promises made to Abraham and part of the restored gospel includes an understanding that the promises made to Abraham are available to us. What made Abraham worthy to receive these blessings is that he commanded "his children and his household after him", that "they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment".

That is something I want to emulate.

No comments: