Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cops and a Free Society

I randomly came across this comment on a news site a while back. I guess in some strange way I can understand their "logic" but I have to say it is not very good logic.

The quote: "when will we Americans wake up and see that police depts are the most dangerous institutions to a free society?"

Wow. That's about all I can say. Wow.

Maybe a corrupt police department is dangerous, but then again you will only have a corrupt police when the people themselves are corrupt. This quote is either expressing a desire for extreme anarchy or extreme libertarianism, neither one being good or conducive to peace. I don't often agree with Hobbes, but he does have a point when he talks about how the State of Nature is a State of War. (also you can check out Wikipedia)


Maybe someday I would like to meet the person who wrote that comment so I could get an idea as to how their brain works (or doesn't as the case may be), because up until now I have never been able to talk to anyone who sincerely held this opinion.

No comments: